Today I learned an extremely valuable lesson about positive thinking. I was sitting in my orthopedic surgeons office with the weight of the world on my shoulders. Thoughts of Things to do with my Criminal Law Practice, my Network Marketing Business, Family issues, who invented peanut butter with jelly in it and why?, not to mention the outcome of my meeting with the doc and the decision about "what we're going to do with my meniscus."
I heard a tiny voice say "you look very worried." I turned and saw an elderly woman a few chairs over. I told her, "I didn't know it showed." She leaned towards me, put her hand over her mouth and whispered, I'm 98 years old and I've learned that it doesn't pay to worry about anything. They next thing you know, I'm laughing and listening to her tell me her life story.
She told me about the depression and how hard it was on everyone, but it made her tough. It taught her that it's very important to control your mind and emotions. She said, "a strong mind is the secret to long life, or at least that's what I've always thought," she laughed. She described a number of maladies she'd had and is currently dealing with. With all these problems, her positive mental attitude was amazing. She said she just makes up her mind, not to let those things bother her. Although I get paid to speak for a living, I just shut up and listened to her talk.
The next thing you know, the nurse calls my name, I look at the time and we've been talking for at least an hour and a half. During that time all my cares just seemed to drift away as I was caught up in the different chapters of her life. Strange as it seems, it was very uplifting.
As I stood up, I towered over her diminutive frame. I leaned down and I told her "it was very nice to meet her and I enjoyed our conversation. She sat up, cupped her hand in front of her mouth again and said remember, "a strong mind is the key to everything."
So, this isn't my normal network marketing blog. But it has a very powerful message that applies to Network Marketing and life in general, "a strong mind is the key to everything."
It also goes to show you that Angels, or at least Angelica's (her name) do walk among us. So keep your eyes open and your ears alert, because you never know when you'll meet one.
John Robberson
http://www.TeamofGurus.com
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great story, John! I can definitely see how it changed your day for the better.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Ana
Awesome story, the power of our thoughts is something we need to always pay attention to!!
ReplyDeleteI read somewhere that stress related disease accounts for 90% of the total, worldwide. It's apparent this lady has survived for so long because she doesn't allow stress to be a part of her life. Such a simple solution, huh?
ReplyDelete